Wednesday

Preliminary Task Evaluation

The Task

Me and my group were asked to create a short film lasting around 60 seconds, within this we had to have a couple lines of dialogue between 2 characters. This dialogue would be a knock knock joke. Also we were told to include 4 different types of shots, 4 different types of camera angles and finally 4 different types of camera movement. We used more than 4 different shots, These Are the ones we used , establishing shot, point of view shot, long shot, close, shot/reverse shot, match on action and mid shot

Establishing shot = A shot used to show portray a location. These types of shots may be used with famous landmarks to indicate which city it is set in, such as: The statue of Liberty to identify New York or Big Ben to identify London 
Point of view shot = A shot that shows what the character is seeing and/or looking at 

Long shot = A typical shot that shows the entire object or human figure and is usually intended to place it in some relation to its surroundings.

Close shot = A shot made with the camera near the person or object but far enough away to include some of the background. 

Mid shot = A shot taken at medium distance, it is a shot of a person from the knees up 

Match on action = This consists of connecting 2 shots together in which a character finishes off an action in the second shot that was started in the first previous shot, for example a clip of a character walking through a door being filmed from behind then the clip cuts to him walking through from the other one.

Shot/reverse shot = This is used mostly in conversations, when two characters are speaking the camera will jump back and fourth in time with the speaker, its is used in conjunction with the 180 degree rule. 

180 degree rule = This rule states that a camera should be places somewhere inside 180 degrees on a particular side of the invisible line of a shot containing 2 people filmed in a sequence. If the camera crosses this line, confusion results for the film viewer, because it can make it look like the people are switching places as one watches the film.


Continuity Editing= This is a piece of editing where the scene is continuous and prevent disorientating viewers.


Pre-Production
We started planning our piece of film by using storyboards. These storyboards included subheadings so we knew what we were going to do such as the shot, the angle, movement and other things so we had a better idea of what we were doing. Because we used the storyboards my group found it a lot easier, because we knew what we were doing at what time and which shots to use.


Production
The way we started the film making was we left the classroom to get all of our clips that we were going to use. We got our shots in order of the location instead of the actual shot number. We found this easier because it meant that we wouldn't be wasting time trying to find a good location to get that certain shot. But when we were filming there were a lot of times we had to do a particular shot again because people were in the way and we did the shot more than once so that we had something worthy of using that didn't have all those errors in.


Post-Production
Before we did the editing, we had to make sure that we chose the right clips that we were going to be importing. When we did the editing it self we used a program called Imovie. The purple box at the end is an ending credits screen where I included all 3 of us that were involved with making the film. The green bar at the bottom is the music I chose and I did this because since there would be no dialogue and no noise it would be quite boring just to watch and to make it more entertaining I included the music which the viewers would find better. I also used some transitions because not all the shots fitted each other. 

Evaluation
One improvement we could of made was as soon as the joke took place the exchange in dialogue was very quick and there should of been a pause in between the lines because the character that was getting told the joke was meant to have no idea and it was really quick so he knew the joke and wasn't meant to, so when editing it was very difficult because the clips had to be cropped quite a lot so the joke could actually fit in, this made the joke only last about 4 seconds.

This is my finished product. I would say we did a good job considering we thought it would be easier because you have to make sure you get the right shots at the right times and make sure there isn't anything that will make the shot a very poor and make it look like bad filming.  But we could have improved a lot and in terms of my editing I feel i did alright seeming that it was my first time.

3 comments:

  1. Can you complete the first part of our learning conversation relating to this evaluation as explained in the relevant post on my blog please Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that it was quite easy to write my evaluation about my preliminary task because I knew what I did right and wrong with it.
    I feel that the strongest part of my evaluation is the first part were I explain what we did and also what we did with the camera. I wrote about the types and shot, angles and movements and explained them, the reason I feel that this is my strongest part is that I already knew about these because of previous lessons.

    I feel that the weakest part of the evaluation was the post-production because I did not add any pictures to it because I forgot to take them when I was editing my task, I also could have said what I would do differently if I had another go at the task.

    I think I set out my evaluation well. I also think that my grammar, spelling and punctuation were good throughout it as well.

    I feel that my evaluation could be improved by adding pictures to it and explain what they show, for example I could show pictures of me editing the film and showing what is being done. I also feel that it could be improved by saying what I would do differently next time such as different shots.
    Overall I think that my evaluation is proficient because I explained at some points and did not expand on these points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing this Matt. I think that this evaluation is proficient and shows that you have the necessary skills to be able to at least meet your target grade. Your target, of course, should be to secure as high a mark as possible on your coursework and I hope that you are able to continue with your positive start.

    You have good written communication skills and your evaluation is at its best when you move from description of what was done to evaluation of what was learnt.

    What do you think is the main thing you will take forwards from this task into your film opening?

    ReplyDelete